Homecoming 2015 Review

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Many multi-colored lights were flashing throughout the filled gymnasium. Music blasted loudly from the speakers as many voices ecstatically sang along. On the night of October 24, students were truly introduced to a “Whole New World” during this year’s Homecoming dance.

Some of the major highlights during Homecoming this year were the casino, the music, and the decorations that went along with the around the world theme.

Senior Brigit Duffy liked that there were other options besides dancing, such as playing at the Casino. Photo by: Logan Garvey
Senior Brigit Duffy liked that there were other options besides dancing, such as playing at the Casino.
Photo by: Logan Garvey

The casino allowed students to play poker and other card games with a group of friends. There were three tables with six to eight chairs per table, allowing huge groups of friends to sit back and relax. Students and teachers enjoyed playing or watching the poker games that went on in the casino hallway.

A few teachers chaperoned this year’s Homecoming, including history teacher Robert Cousineau.

“I’d say my favorite part of Homecoming this year was the casino,” said Cousineau. “I thought it was pretty cool to watch the kids enjoying themselves while playing these games.”

Unlike the straight enjoyment the casino brought to the crowds, the music had a mix of reviews.

“There were a lot of older songs that I’m not a fan of, but there was also a mix of modern songs,” said Franz.

The music, as Barbera mentioned, wasn’t the best but students still enjoyed dancing around to the tunes.

“I liked some of the fun songs, like the Cha-Cha,” said Barbera. “There were quite a bit of songs people still listen to today.”

The flags and the balloon decorations got a lot of praise, but not so much the lighting in the gymnasium.

“I thought the lights were blinding, but the balloons were really neat. It was definitely something new,” said Barbera.

The flags and balloons made many excited about being in the gym.

Balloon decorations around the gym got a lot of praise from a majority of the students. Photo by: Logan Garvey
Balloon decorations around the gym got a lot of praise from a majority of the students.
Photo by: Logan Garvey

“The Eiffel Tower balloons were really cool,” said Franz. “I thought they treated the theme really well.”

Junior Isabel Barbera experienced Homecoming for the first time this year and thought the theme was enjoyable.

“I thought Homecoming was okay this year,” said Barbera. “The music wasn’t the best, but it was fun dancing around.”

Senior Kelly Franz, who was part of the Homecoming Court, enjoyed going to Homecoming with senior Jake Smith and dancing with her friends.

“I thought it was fun because it was great seeing all of my friends dressed up and having fun,” said Franz.

Overall, Homecoming this year wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great. Students, nevertheless, enjoyed hanging out with their friends and dancing around. When asked about how Homecoming could improve next year, students replied by suggesting better music and “less-blinding” lights.