The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Seniors Play On Their Turf One Last Time

The senior field hockey players pose for their senior pictures. Photo by Addy Schefter.

Ally Kerr, Assistant Sports Editor

The 2015 senior field hockey players played their last home game on their turf against Delone Catholic, where the Warriors won 8-0.

As the girls walked across the field on Monday, October 19, with their parents while their future plans, memories and notes to their parents, coaches, and teammates were announced.

Seniors Michella Salvitti and Julia DeLuca had different emotions about the night. Salvitti, a midfielder, experienced multiple emotions throughout the night.

The "Susky Seniors" cake that the girls ate after their win againt Delone on senior night. Photo by Ally Kerr.

The “Susky Seniors” cake that the girls ate after their win against Delone on senior night. Photo by Ally Kerr.

“[Monday] was really nostalgic. I was excited because it was our last home game where we all [the seniors] were going to play together, and we all have been looking forward to our senior night for forever now. It was definitely bittersweet,” Salvitti said.

Salvitti believed that the whole team played a good game, and that everyone left everything out on their field.

“[Senior night] was really good. It kind of felt like when we first started playing together in 7th grade again,” Salvitti said.

DeLuca, a center back and captain, was determined and motivated to “go out with a bang” on senior night.

“I thought I was going to be very sad and emotional, but I really wasn’t. I was just lucky that I got to play with my friends and that we all [the seniors] got to play together,” DeLuca said.

Since the season is near to its end, DeLuca is going to miss the team aspect of the sport. For the most part, the seniors have been playing together for six years and have become very close to each other.

“I know I complain about going to practice, but I’m definitely going to miss games. Those were what I live for and knowing that those aren’t going to happen anymore is upsetting,” DeLuca said.

After the Warriors beat Delone Catholic, the team celebrated in the cafeteria with pizza, cake, salad and refreshments. As a tradition, Coach Sharon McLaughlin purchases posters for the seniors with their last name and number on them. The underclassmen sign the posters with memories and “good luck” wishes for the seniors for the future.

The field hockey seniors and Coach Sharon McLaughlin gather around their cake at the post game celebration. Photo by Addy Schefter.

“They are a great group of girls on and off the field. Their talent is nothing like I have had in the past, and I look forward to what post season brings us,” McLaughlin said.

The Warriors ended their regular season with 15 wins and 3 losses. The team won their first district game on Saturday, October 24 against Lancaster Mennonite 2-1 in overtime and will play their second district game on Wednesday, October 28 against Manheim Central.