“In the Bag” Fund Nearing Its Deadline

By Mitchell Green, Reporter

The golf team is hosting a fundraiser called the “In the Bag Fund” to help pay for some new, much-needed equipment.

The target amount the sports booster club aims to collect is set at $2,000. Dick’s Sporting Goods has pledged to match the amount if $1,000 can be reached by the end of October. New equipment has been long-awaited; the team was forced to make due with only the bare essentials that the school provided and what the students brought for their own personal use.

The team wants to purchase items such as golf bags, clubs, balls and tees, among other items. The new bags are to feature the school’s warrior head logo, embossed on the side. Kendel Abrams, one of the members of Susky’s 2015 Golf Team, said that a major complaint in the past has been that the players lacked team spirit since they “all had to supply… [their] own bags.” The hope is that the school’s identity can be more widely used and able to be seen by others to show our pride and team spirit.

The head of the fundraiser, Kenneth Abrams, explained how he feels the school has deprived players of their identity as the Susquehannock High School Golf Team; he feels the golf team has been long underfunded, unrecognized, and under-appreciated. “It’s time to outfit the team with quality, Warrior-branded equipment,” said Kenneth.

The golf team has also seen a decline in players compared to years in the past, the cause of which, according to Kenneth, is “the overall cost of playing being far too high for many students who want to join.” According to Kenneth, the average cost of equipment stands at a hefty $200 for the bare necessities.
To contribute to the fund, You can write a check made payable to the Susquehannock Golf Booster Club, or donate online at http://www.donorschoose.org/SuskyGolf?active=true.