Volleyball Digs Deep at Dig Pink

By Jake Smith, Assistant Editor-in-chief

Girls volleyball hosted Dig Pink, its annual fundraiser for breast cancer research, at an impressive game against Eastern on Thursday night.

The match was over after just three games, proving the success of the team this year.

The event started off with the crowning of junior Dean Lochte, who raised the most money from his classmates, as the Prince of Pink. Together, the four candidates up for the title raised over $475 for cancer research.

Dean Lochte celebrates his win. Photo by Jake Smith.

To promote the game, the volleyball team sold shirts to students, which benefitted both the team and the cause. Compounded with the other fundraisers, volleyball raised over $3,000 for the Side Out Foundation, a charity that benefits from events like Dig Pink.

Senior Kelly Franz thought that the shirt sale helped to get students excited for the game.

“I actually thought it was really great, especially the Prince of Pink competition” said Franz. “The shirts helped people become aware of the game, which also helped us raise money. It feels great to give so much money to such a worthy cause.”

The team ended up selling over 230 shirts to students of both schools in the game.

As the athletes began to practice, the student section grew continuously into a crowd ready to see a strong Susky win for a good cause.

Teammates jump to save the play. Photo by Jake Smith.

Senior Laura Savin is proud of her performance.

“I thought it was great to have people come out and support us and then win like we did,” said Savin. “It really allowed us to make that a special night.”

Unlike most games, the student section had a very large presence at Dig Pink. Almost everyone in the crowd wore an official shirt or some form of pink, helping to create an atmosphere of excitement and support.

Senior Dan Pergrin was in the audience on Thursday.

“[The game] was pretty hype actually. The fan base was stoked,” said Pergrin. “They sort of just crushed the other team… It wasn’t really a competition. It was exciting to see players who aren’t usually in get playing time.”

The team was hugely successful on Thursday, easily beating the competition and raising a substantial amount of money for a great cause.

Volleyball’s senior night will be on Thursday, October 22.

The student section filled up almost an entire section of the bleachers. Photo courtesy Maddy Mummert.