Junior raises money for Spina Bifida

Junior Josh Gladfelter raised $370 for the Spina Bifida Assocciation of America, S.B.A.A., by selling paper ghosts as a fundraiser.

In thanks to the S.B.A.A. for supplying wheelchairs and other supplies to Gladfelter throughout his  years, he knew he wanted to give back. “[I have handed] out paper ghosts to raise money. For everyone that [paid] for one, the money [has gone] straight to the S.B.A.A.. Each one [was] $1,” said Gladfelter.

Myelomeninogecle, one variation of Spina Bifida, has caused Gladfelter to use  a wheelchair. However, it does not affect his day-to-day routine.“I just go through each day as if it was a normal day, nothing feels different,” said Gladfelter.

To spread the word,  Gladfelter went to science teacher Barbara Nealon’s Anatomy class to talk about the condition itself, and how he deals with it.

Nealon sees Gladfelter as a role model for his peers.

“There are many people [who] would let this get them down… but you can either choose to let this get you down, or you can do something about it,” said Nealon. “Josh is one of those people who is going to do something about it.”

Not letting 13 surgeries and continuous physical therapy affect him, Gladfelter lives an active life by being a church usher and by volunteering at many organizations.

Learning support teacher Kristin “Coach K” Johnson  has supported Gladfelter in his past years at Susky. “Josh is an extremely independent student. He sees the world as nothing is different. He embraces it,” said Johnson.

Math teacher Maureen Honeychuck also commends Gladfelter for what he has accomplished.

“Having Spina Bifida is a part of who he is, not what he is,” said Honeychuck. “If you have this condition, you can’t let it control who you are.”

The most important thing to remember about those affected by Spina Bifida is that they are no different from those unaffected by the condition; they, like Gladfelter, are just like everyone else.

“I have feelings and opinions, good days and bad days, hopes and dreams,” said Gladfelter. “I just have more day-to-day physical challenges than others.”