2k16 MyCareer

By Danielle Jackson, Sports Reporter

This year’s edition of the forever famous basketball simulation game 2k16 takes a new spin on its features this year, letting crazed Knicks fan Spike Lee direct the MyCareer feature.

In Lee’s version he creates a storyline about the life of a super talented hood-raised NBA superstar Frequency Vibrations a.k.a “ Freq.” This is a storyline  starting off in high school, then going to college, and even picking an agent.

You are able to explore more than any other 2k game in the past. During the beginning of the game, you get to choose between three high schools to attend, but you only get to play three games in high school: one home game, one away game and  the high school championship.

A feature in 2k. High School Championship. Photo By; By 2K Sports (2K Sports)
This is one feature of 2k, a high school championship. Photo By: By 2K Sports (2K Sports)

During the duration of your high school experience, a variety of college coaches come to your house and try to recruit you to play for their school. After the high school championship, you get to tell the world what college you choose to go to. You’re allowed to pick from Arizona, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan, Texas, UCONN, UCLA and Villanova. Once you choose your school, you are allowed to play four college games which include: two home games, one away game and the NCAA championship against the Wisconsin Badgers. Some of these teams include 2015 draft picks such as Kelly Oubre Jr. from Kansas and Terry Rozier from Louisville. 

Cut scene of you about to choose your college with your family. Photo by; By 2K Sports (2K Sports) [CC0],
This is a screen shot of when you choose your college. Photo by: By 2K Sports (2K Sports) [CC0],
After you are drafted, you start off with a 55 overall, which is very bad. You have to build your attributes up by playing games and earning virtual coins. You only get to play 8 games during your rookie year. Some games include you playing against Stephen Curry, Lebron James and one game in your hometown to play against the Brooklyn Nets,  where your family attends the game. After rookie year is complete, you are a free agent and get to choose three teams that fit your interest. You can negotiate your contract by asking for more money, more minutes or even both. If the team doesn’t like your contract offer, then they pull, and you have to choose three new teams.

What your off day options consist of. Photo by: 2K Sports (2K Sports) [CC0],
Your off day options consist of the options above. Photo by: 2K Sports (2K Sports) [CC0],
The final addition to the new MyCareer features is the Off Day activities. The Activities let you build connections with teammates and even your team owner which build your reputation and increase your fan base.

You can also attend to your endorsements, which are when you have a company interested in you, and you have to meet with them in order to settle a deal. The final thing you can do on your off day is attend a live practice which includes you in your practice attire shooting around with your teammates. In practice, there are two drills which help build your attributes without spending  virtual coins. In the gym there are several things you can do that improve your body, including: running sprints, trunk lifts, vertical jumps and way more.

This year’s 2k was proven to be the best 2k created in years. Voted 4.5/5 by Metacritic and 9/10 by IGN.com, this game has topped all competition it’s ever faced. The quality and graphics are better than ever. The 2k fan base will be surprised if 2k comes out with something better next year.