The Dig Pink Festivities Begin

The Prince of Pink candidates look forward to fundraising for a good cause. Photo by Kelly Franz.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Already having a successful season, 10-2, the girls volleyball team plans to spike breast-cancer in its annual Dig Pink fundraising activities, which has raised over $6,000 in the past two years.

The Prince of Pink candidates, one from each grade, were chosen by the volleyball girls early this month. Senior Stephen Rouse, junior Dean Lochte, sophomore Chris Norris and freshman Greyson Daviau represent their classes in the friendly competition.  

The Prince of Pink candidates show their school spirit by dressing up all in pink. Photo by Kelly Franz.

Senior Stephen Rouse was nominated to be a Prince of Pink candidate by the volleyball girls.

“[I’m looking for to] raising money for a good cause,” said Rouse. “I support the volleyball team, and I’m [a] dedicated fan.”

Although the Prince of Pink contest is a lot of fun because the boys dress up all in pink and often act silly, it has become a valued tradition for the Dig Pink game.

Senior Abby Ferraro has been on the volleyball team all four years of high school and sees the value in the Prince of Pink tradition.

“I think it gets the students involved. It’s not just about the girls on the team,” said Ferraro. “Now, we’re bringing in people from the other classes, which makes it more fun and interactive.”

The volleyball players are also fundraising for the big game by selling t-shirts for ten dollars each and collecting cans at other teams’ sporting events. Ticket sales will also be a large part of the fundraising efforts.

T-shirts are available for purchase from any of the girls volleyball players. Photo by Karly Matthews.
T-shirts are available for purchase for $10.00 each from any of the girl volleyball players. Photo by Karly Matthews.

Freshman Greyson Daviau is showing his school spirit by getting involved with Prince of Pink this year and plans to fundraise by asking his teachers and collecting cans.

“[I’m looking forward to] having fun and raising money for charity,” said Daviau.

Students can assist the fundraising efforts by donating to the Prince of Pink candidates starting Monday, October 12, purchasing a Dig Pink t-shirt from a volleyball player, donating cans, or attending the Dig Pink game.

The candidates and volleyball players are fundraising up until the game, which is scheduled for October 15 at 7:00 p.m. in the main gym.