Girls Tennis Loses to Dallastown

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Suquehannock High School’s Girls Tennis team faced off against Dallastown on October 1, 7-0,  Dallastown taking the win.

On September 30, the day before the game, Junior Emily Snyder, who has played on the Girls Tennis team for two years now, said that the team felt they were well-prepared for the game.

“I’m not sure how we will do,” said Snyder. “Before there’s a challenging game, we hope to win, of course. But it’s something we need to wait and see how well we will do.”

The match against Dallastown was scheduled to take place on Susquehannock’s tennis court, but due to the bad weather, the game had to take place in Dallastown’s indoor courts in order for it to not be postponed.

Junior Jessica McDonald disliked the rain, but she was glad that the game wasn’t postponed.

McDonald readies her position to hit the ball. (Photo by: Emily Rivers)
Junior Jessica McDonald readies her position to hit the ball. (Photo by: Emily Rivers)

“I don’t like it when it rains,” said McDonald. “The court would get all slippery, and games would get postponed if we had to play outside.”

McDonald played hard during the game, and hopes that the team will do better next time against Dallastown.

“I didn’t expect to win… mostly because Dallastown is the best team in the division right now,” said McDonald. “Dallastown is #1 in the division. They are a hard team to beat. Another hard team for us to beat is Central York. Both schools are big, and they have lots of money. So they are really hard to win against.”

Freshman Julianne Cassady knows what the team needs to improve on.

“I thought that we could have done a little better,” said Cassady. “…if we had made better shots against the ball.” 

Sophomore Molly Hogan serves a swift ball to her opponent. (Photo by: Emily Rivers)

Snyder believes that there aren’t many cons to playing tennis, and that losing isn’t the worst part of the game.

“Losing a match can be upsetting, but we tend to learn from our mistakes and do better in the next game,” said Snyder. “Just keep working hard, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

The team’s current record is 4-7.