Switching it up in the Symphony

Changes have been made to the Y.Y.S.O. auditions this year.

Sophomore cello player Justin Feild practices the new music for the upcoming Y.Y.S.O. concert.
Sophomore cello player Justin Feild practices the new music for the upcoming Y.Y.S.O. concert. Picture by: Kelcie Baker

The members of the York Youth Symphony Orchestra (Y.Y.S.O.) were surprised to see that the auditions were set up a little differently this year.

In past years, the auditions were judged by the director and other important head figures that were usually seen around rehearsals. However, this year they had new specialists for each instrument to listen and judge the auditions.

Many students were surprised to see the change this year, but school orchestra director Zachary Levi thinks it was a good idea.

“I think they had new people listening to the auditions, so there would be no questions about it being biased,” said Levi. “It was a good idea because it makes it a completely fair audition.”

The new change seems to have had a good impact on the orchestra as a whole and helped the young musicians to gain experience auditioning in front of new faces.

York Youth Symphony Orchestra is an orchestra where students from all over York County can play at a more advanced level.

Many students like sophomore Justin Feild really enjoy having the opportunity to be a part of the orchestra.

“I like being able to meet new people from other schools that I wouldn’t be able to meet otherwise,” said Feild. “It’s a really great experience, and I like being able to play with all of these talented people.”

The students that participate in Y.Y.S.O. appreciate having the opportunity to be able to play more professional music that they may not be able to play in their school orchestras.

However, to people that are not in the program, it may seem crazy as to why anyone would make such a large commitment between the weekly Saturday morning rehearsals and having three concerts a year.

Senior violin player Kristen Zak rehearses for her symphony rehearsal on Saturday morning.
Senior violin player Kristen Zak rehearses for her symphony rehearsal on Saturday morning. Picture by: Kelcie Baker

Senior violinist Kristen Zak is proud that she started participating in YYSO in the first place.

“I started playing in this orchestra because I wanted a way to improve my orchestral playing outside of school,” said Zak. “Being able to play with all of these talented people from across the county really helps us improve.”

It’s clear that there are many benefits to having a program like this available to young musicians.

The symphony just started their new season and is already working hard to get ready for their first concert on November 22.