The Golf Team Makes Par

Senior Michael Passio shakes his opponent’s hand at his match on September 15. Photo by Ray Lingenfelter.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Hoping to make par for the rest of the season, the 2015 golf team made its debut by placing second in the YAIAA Division II Tournament at Pleasant Valley Golf Course on September 8.

Sophomore Brendan Paules lines up for a fairway shot. Photo by Ray Lingenfelter.

Sophomore Brendan Paules is competing on the varsity golf team for the first time this season.

“[I look forward to] continuing to play matches and spending time with the team,” said Paules.

Coach Ray Lingenfelter has coached the golf team for six years and has a very specific goal in mind for this season.

“We want our kids to enjoy the game and learn the rules and the history of the game,” said Lingenfelter. “The most important thing is that we want them to be able to take this sport and play it for the rest of their lives.”

Senior Daniel Stiffler puts the ball across the green. Photo by Ray Lingenfelter.

During the official preseason, the entire team focused on the short game aspect of golf, meaning shots hit around and on the green, as opposed to drives and iron shots in order to lower scores.

Senior Dan Pergrin noticed hard work from his fellow golfers leading up to the start of the season.

“There were a few players… that played almost every day over the summer,” said Pergrin. “[They] were very prepared for this season.”

The team’s scoring goal this year is to send as many golfers to the county match as possible while trying to keep scores in high seventies and low eighties. So far, the team is ranked second or third in its division depending on the match it is competing in.

Sophomore Kendel Abrams works on the practice green. Photo by Ray Lingenfelter.

Sophomore Kendel Abrams looks forward to a successful season and possibly clinching the number one spot on the team.

“We had some tough competition, and we’ve lost a couple of good players, but this year, we’re looking to be very strong,” said Abrams.

According to the 2014 Susquehannock High School Golf Report, four golfers made it to counties last season, and only two continued on to the districts match. Overall, the team finished third, behind only Eastern and West York, in the division standings.

The golf team will compete again on Thursday, September 17 at Cool Creek Golf Club, striving to beat their Eastern York opponents.