Tech Shed Opens in Library

By Jake Smith, Assistant Editor-in-chief

This year the district is taking on the huge task of converting Susquehannock into a one-to-one high school. To control the onslaught of questions from hundreds of students a new program called the Tech Shed is being unrolled.

The Tech Shed is a group of students that spend their free periods offering help to others with their technology  in the library.

The Tech Shed occupies a small room in the library where students can seek help with any issues they encounter. Photo by Jake Smith.

Senior Caitlyn Rassa is ready to tackle the unique issues the Tech Shed anticipates.

“We can help kids with software and fix issues with their computers,” said Rassa. “We actually didn’t go through any training. This is all just our knowledge.”

Everyone now has a personal laptop, which means a school full of newly-connected students and endless potential headaches. While Chromebooks are the main focus of the group, anyone can come in and ask about their technology, whether it is school-related or not.

Librarian Kayse Corrieri understands the importance of the Tech Shed.

The interior of the actual Tech Shed is small, but the entire library is open for students to ask for help. Photo by Jake Smith.

“The students that are part of it know more about technology than a lot of adults,” said Corrieri. “We’re staffed all day, so it’s convenient. It’s also faster than [the IT department] sometimes. You can get an immediate response, and we see that students react better to other students giving them help. And the kids that are part of [the Tech Shed] really like helping out.”

Senior Lance Woody is already seeing the effects of the service on the school.

“We’re helping teachers with the laptop carts and getting them ready for the Chromebooks,” said Woody.

The district has been preparing for Chromebooks for months now, but the rollout is going much smoother with the support of a few invaluable volunteers. The Tech Shed is open every day during periods 1, 4/5 , 9, and 10.

With the district's new Chromebooks, students will seek more technology help than ever before. Photo by Jake Smith.
With the district’s new Chromebooks, students will seek more technology help than ever before. Photo by Jake Smith.