New Teachers and Staff Embrace Susky

By Ally Kerr, Reporter

Four new faces are joining the Warrior Nation staff, ready for a successful year. Elizabeth Surguy, Kelly Bray, Doug Reimold, and Kristy Ehlke are all starting their first year at Susquehannock with excitement.

Ms. Surguy

Screenshot 2015-09-14 at 11.25.59 AM
Ms. Surguy collaborating with her students. Photo by Ally Kerr.

For the new math teacher, Surguy, this is not the first time she has been “a part of the atmosphere” of Susquehannock. Surguy is an alumna of Susquehannock from the class of 2009, where she was involved in activities such as: Link Crew, field hockey, soccer, student and class council, NHS, and many other organizations.

“It’s interesting and exciting to be on the teacher side, working with my former teachers,” said Surguy.

Surguy is especially excited about coaching junior high field hockey. She is a graduate from Temple University and is now back living in New Freedom. Before her move back to Susquehannock, Surguy used to teach in Baltimore County.

“I love the eight-minute commute to work compared to driving to Baltimore County and back every day,” said Surguy.

In her free time, she enjoys biking, hiking, going to the gym, scrapbooking, playing soccer, and playing and coaching field hockey.

Mrs. Bray

Screenshot 2015-09-14 at 11.27.00 AM
Mrs. Bray smiles about her new job. Photo by Ally Kerr.

The special education department has added Bray to its staff.

“I’m excited to be working with new students and to be a part of the Susky family,” said Bray.

Bray is a graduate of York Catholic High School and Appalachian State University where she played volleyball.

“I’ve enjoyed getting to know the kids and being welcomed by the staff,” said Bray.

She teaches the social skills and study skills classes, is involved in Best Buds and helps coach the varsity volleyball team. Bray has always wanted to make a difference and impact on the youth.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the kids succeed and being there for them,” said Bray.

Bray enjoys doing cross-fit, playing volleyball, spending time with family, and being around her seven-month-old golden lab, Ranger.

Mr. Reimold

Screenshot 2015-09-14 at 11.26.39 AM
Mr. Reimold smiles outside of his office. Photo by Ally Kerr.

Another alum found his way back to Susquehannock this year. Reimold, from the class of 1979, is now the head custodian. His family has all graduated from Susquehannock, so he is very familiar with the school and the community.

“The students are doing a very good job with keeping everything clean,” Reimold said.

Reimold only has one piece of advice to the students.

“If you drop something, pick it up; it’s as simple as that,” Reimold said.

Before Reimold came to Susquehannock, he was the owner of Trail Tool, a machine shop in Glen Rock. Outside of school, he enjoys bike riding and collecting antiques, including 10,000 Pez dispensers. His goal for the end of this school year is that the students help to keep it as clean as it was on day one.

Mrs. Ehlke

Mrs. Ehlke answering the phone in the office. Photo by Ally Kerr.

The high school’s newest attendance clerk, Ehlke, is starting her new role in the office. She used to work in Baltimore County at Hamdon Elementary-Middle School.

“I’m looking forward to grow with the job and to get to know the community,” Ehlke said.

Ehlke lives in New Freedom with her family.

“It’s been a great learning experience with teachers, students, and co-workers,” Ehlke said.

She is excited about meeting the students as they come into the office throughout the day. In Ehlke’s free time, she enjoys running, the outside, music, and spending time with her family. She hopes that this year goes as well as it did the first week of school.