The Writing Center Aims to Hone Student Success

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Aiming to improve the school’s writing one essay at a time, the library writing center is now taking appointments for one-on-one tutoring.

If you have any further questions about the program, find one of the many posters around the school or talk to Mrs. Corrieri in the library. Photo by Karly Matthews.

Librarian Kayse Corrieri is heading this new program for the 2015-2016 school year with 12 upperclassmen tutors (ten seniors and two juniors), and, thru her research, she saw that this writing center may be the first of its kind within a high school though it is already a staple in most universities.

“I started to notice that a lot of students… didn’t like to write, and I think a lot of times it’s because they feel like they’re not good,” said Corrieri. “Then, I see other students who are so talented and could use their talents to help others.”

The writing center is located in the back library classroom, where the teacher copier room used to be located. Photo by Karly Matthews.
The writing center is located in the back library classroom, where the teacher copier room used to be located. Photo by: Karly Matthews.

The writing center provides tutoring by appointment for all subjects (not limited to English essays). Any student can request assistance in the library or make an appointment on Blackboard (Blackboard Info. Literacy Page) or the library homepage, and he or she will be set up with one of the center’s tutors. Walk-ins without an appointment during a study hall or lunch period are also welcome.

The center is strictly for suggestions in editing, and tutors will not be writing any portions of essays for students. Students should expect tutors to ask questions as opposed to providing solutions because the writing center encourages dialogue between the tutor and tutee.

The writing center will be specifically located in the back classroom of the library, which previously was the teacher copier room. The center will be running before and after school, and there will be a resident tutor in the center almost every period of the school day. Students are limited to one twenty minute session per week but are invited to come back to their tutor weekly, biweekly, monthly, or any combination thereof.

Tutors have been preparing since late summer to improve Susquehannock's writing. Photo by Karly Matthews.
Tutors have been preparing since late summer to improve Susquehannock’s writing. Photo by Karly Matthews.

“[Our goal is] to provide students one-on-one help from trained tutors in any stage of the writing process to help improve abilities and become more effective writers,” said Corrieri.

When asked about the writing center, three freshman girls agreed that although they personally prefer to work alone in their school work, the writing center is a good idea for students who are struggling with writing assignments.

Senior and junior tutors began planning for their writing center positions late this summer, and seniors Megan Longerbeam and Bella Gilbert were anointed as this year’s leaders. These students will handle scheduling appointments for other tutors as well as tutoring themselves. Tutors for next year will be trained later in this school year so that they can develop the program even further.

Longerbeam is looking forward to getting the program started and believes that it could greatly benefit students.

“I think a lot of students know that they need help with their writing, but they’re too shy to ask,” said Longerbeam. “Now, we have a program dedicated to [writing quality], so it will be easier for them to get help.”

For any student worried about his or her writing quality, the writing center is now open.