Iannuzzi Is Named 2015’s Valedictorian

Iannuzzi (far right) prepares to speak at his graduation. Photo courtesy of sycsd.org.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

As the 2014 to 2015 school year comes to a close, exceptional students in the senior class prepare to be recognized for their academic excellence. Anthony Iannuzzi is one such student who is watching his high school career conclude in a big way: as valedictorian of his class.

Iannuzzi started his education in the Southern York County School District in kindergarten. Entering high school in 2011, Iannuzzi quickly demonstrated his hard work in the classroom.

Iannuzzi (shown in the middle) was a cross country team captain this year. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

Science teacher Gregory Brobst has had Iannuzzi in both his AP chemistry and physics classes and has been inspired by Iannuzzi’s dedication.

“Anthony’s motivation and how hard he works on everything is amazing,” said Brobst. “He’s never happy with anything less than his best, and his best is perfect. When he’s not perfect, he’s always working to be perfect.”

In his senior year, Iannuzzi has taken five AP classes including: physics, literature, computer science and government. Still, Iannuzzi’s dedicated to his education did not start senior year, which allowed him to maintain the top spot in his class. He attributes his success to not procrastinating with his school work and working very hard towards his education.

AP English teacher Katharine Wilt teaches a subject that Iannuzzi isn’t as passionate about, yet she has still noticed his tremendous effort.

“I just appreciate his passion for learning and doing new things,” said Wilt. “Even though English is not his number one interest, he goes about it with interest and intrigue… and I think that’s something we can all learn from.”

Shown by the amount of classes he has taken in the fields, Iannuzzi has a strong passion for math and science. After graduation, Iannuzzi has plans to attend Rochester Institute of Technology and major in mechanical aerospace engineering. He chose this university for its impressive program in his major and its proximity to his sister, who he is very close with.

Iannuzzi looks forward to attending college at Rochester Institute of Technology  as a mechanical aerospace engineer major. Photo by Tomwsulcer (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons.
Iannuzzi looks forward to attending college at Rochester Institute of Technology as a mechanical aerospace engineer major. Photo by Tomwsulcer (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons.
 Once out of college, Iannuzzi would love to find a position in NASA to utilize the skills that he has gained through high school and later in college.

“I think [this major is] the best way for me to improve our society,” said Iannuzzi. “It’d be cool to help humans reach the stars and get to Mars.”

In addition to having the highest GPA in the senior class, Iannuzzi is a varsity athlete on the cross country and tennis teams, president of National Honors Society, class council treasurer, founder of the badminton and board game clubs at Susquehannock and a member of the Quizbowl team.

With less than a month until graduation, Iannuzzi has begun his speech addressing his class and looks forward to start following his aspirations.