Kick Cancer Spirit Week: An Overview

By Danielle Jackson, Reporter

Student council held activities to benefit cancer research during Kick Cancer Week, April 20 to 24.

Posters made by student council members are hung to advertise the spirit week. Photo by: Stephanie Bortner

Monday was “bum it day.” This day consisted of students dressing in ripped shirts, ripped jeans and maybe even some ripped socks. During lunch, students could participate in  a balloon pop activity. Balloon pop asked students to pay $1 to pop a balloon in order to receive the little note inside of it which would award a prize.

Tuesday was “beach day,” which allowed students to dress up as if they were headed to the beach. The lunch activity for Tuesday was a duck pull, in which students chose a rubber duck for the chance to get a prize.

On Wednesday, the school had a tribute to our country  with ‘Merica Day. This day was the most prideful day with students showing their freedom colors by wearing red, white and blue to show some American spirit. Student Council held a lollipop pull where students pulled a lollipop, and, depending on which one is pulled, a treat is won.

Freshman Michael Torbert is joined with junior Matthew Barnhart and senior Kayla Pringle to celebrate '60s day. Photo by Abigail Bentz.
Freshman Michael Torbert is joined with junior Matthew Barnhart and senior Kayla Pringle to celebrate ’60s day. Photo by Abigail Bentz.

On Thursday, students kicked it back to the old days with ’60s day. On this groovy day, students wore some Tye-dye shirts and socks.  Student council fund raised by  allowing students to pie  willing teachers  for only $1.

Finally, the  week ended with Ying and Yang day. Students wore black and white in various ways. The final fund-raising activity was a little ice cream social after school on Friday for anyone who wanted a frozen treat on a nice Friday afternoon.

Kick cancer spirit week gives everyone a chance to express their personalities and to also raise  awareness to this life threatening disease.