R.I.P. McDreamy

Derek Shephard played by Patrick Dempsey died in the latest Greys Anatomy episode. Courtesy of people.com.

Derek Shephard played by Patrick Dempsey died in the latest ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ episode. Courtesy of people.com.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

The Grey’s Anatomy fandom is in mourning. After last week’s episode, “How to Save a Life,” Dr. Derek Shepherd was killed (cue ugly crying). Out of all the horrible things that have happened to these doctors at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, for example: Meredith drowning, a bomb, Izzie getting cancer, George getting hit by a bus, a mass shooting, Callie’s awful car crash while pregnant, Derek and Meredith losing Zola, a plane crash, Lexie and Mark dying, that terrible storm, Meredith almost dying while giving birth, Arizona cheating on Callie, Christina leaving, April and Jackson losing their baby, or Derek almost having an affair, McDreamy dying has definitely been the worst.

Derek proposed to Meredith in an elevator at Seattle Grace Hospital in season 5. "My favorite McDreamy moment was when Derek proposed to Meredith in an elevator." said Stephanie Bortner. Courtesy of fanpop.com.
Derek proposed to Meredith in an elevator at Seattle Grace Hospital in season 5. “My favorite McDreamy moment was when Derek proposed to Meredith in an elevator.” said senior Stephanie Bortner. Courtesy of fanpop.com.

To show non Grey’s fans how good karma isn’t true at all in ShondaLand, here’s how the dreamy doctor himself passed. Derek was starting this fateful morning driving to the airport to fly to Washington D.C. in order to quit his job with the President, so he could be at home with Meredith and his kids as well as have another child (swoon) when the two cars in front of him got into a terrible car accident. With Derek being the amazing doctor that he is, he immediately stops and helped the four victims in the crash. The victims and McDreamy wait for hours for an ambulance to come since the crash conveniently happened in a dead zone, but the smoke from one of the burning cars was their saving grace (apparently no one drives on this road except for these three cars).

After the ambulance leaves the scene, Derek got back in his car and was about to go home since his flight was long gone, until his phone started to ring in his center console (in a dead zone mind you where no one’s phone was able to make a call for hours). As Derek goes to answer his phone, out of no where a tractor trailer t-bones his car on a straight away road where no cars have been driving for hours (because that just makes so much sense Shonda Rhimes). McDreamy is then taken to a hospital, not Grey Sloan though (face palm), which is not acquitted for traumas.

Derek and Meredith get excited over the birth of their second child Bailey in season 9. Courtesy of twitter.

The audience then gets to hear Dr. Shepherd’s thoughts as he’s in the ER, and he keeps stressing that he needs a head CT. The incompetent doctors at this terrible hospital then say that he doesn’t have time for a CT given his internal injuries in his abdomen (they’re wrong). The doctors rush him to surgery until things go south, the awful doctors realize that it’s his head, so the neurosurgeon is paged, but wait, this episode isn’t bad enough; the neurosurgeon’s at dinner. 45 minutes later the doctor comes, and our dear old McDreamy is now brain dead (the tears are real). Meredith shows up to the hospital with her children and ultimately makes the decision to pull Derek off of life support, and MerDer is now just a memory.

This tragedy hasn’t just affected the characters on the show, but also the students and staff of Susquehannock. Senior Sierra Patterson was flabbergasted after the episode, which premiered on April 23rd.

“I was shocked,” said Patterson. “I didn’t expect his death to happen before the series ended.”

Series veteran and history teacher, Heather Schoemaker has been watching the series since the premiere and is upset over the executive decision.

“I was shocked, and I was disappointed because I feel like you don’t kill off a major character when we know that their contract is until a 12th season. It’s ridiculous,” said Schoemaker.

Unlike Patterson and Schoemaker, fellow senior Stephanie Bortner expected something bad to happen to the main male lead.

Derek and Meredith get 'married' in season 6 by writing what they want to promise each other on a sticky note. “[My favorite Derek Shepherd moment was] when Meredith and Derek got married on a post it.” said Sierra Patterson. Courtesy of entretenimento.r7.com.
Derek and Meredith get ‘married’ in season 6 by writing what they want to promise each other on a sticky note. “[My favorite Derek Shepherd moment was] when Meredith and Derek got married on a post it,” said Sierra Patterson. Courtesy of entretenimento.r7.com.
“Derek being killed wasn’t something that I thought would happen, but the way the show was going, it was to be expected,” said Bortner. “The show will not be the same without him.”

After the shock of his death, die hard Grey’s Anatomy fans were extremely angry with this decision. Some fans even stated that they were no longer going to watch their beloved series.

“I don’t know if it will stop them [the fans] from watching it,” said Patterson. “There’s a lot of people that have been watching since the very beginning, and I don’t think they would not want to know how the series ended.”

As for Schoemaker, the killing of characters have lessened her interest in the show.

“I am going to watch this week’s [episode] on the funeral tomorrow night [April 30], but if I’m not into it anymore, than no [I won’t watch],” said Schoemaker. “There’s only a couple major characters left that I like, and to be honest, McDreamy and McSteamy (Mark Sloan played by Eric Dane) were my two major characters I liked, and they’re both dead.”

Without the main character in the series a lot of fans are wondering how the show will move on.

“Derek was such a large part of Meredith’s life that I feel like I lost a family member as well,” said Bortner. “I am interested to see what will happen to the show without McDreamy.”

Even though Derek Shepherd will never continue his story, his memory will forever be engraved in our hearts.

Derek looks upon his newborn son Bailey in season 10. Courtesy of hyable.com.