Students React to Esteemed SAT Scores

Students React to Esteemed SAT Scores

By Grace Burns, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Students recently obtained their highly anticipated SAT scores on April 2 after taking the test on March 14.  Both positive and negative reactions resulted from the score release as some students were pleased while others decided to retake the test for a higher score.  To access practice materials and tips for studying, visit SAT Practice, run by College Board.

How do you feel about your performance on the SAT after recently finding out your score?

“I think that I did well considering it was my first time taking the test,” said junior Maddy Staub. “I didn’t feel as if I was lacking a lot of skills when I was taking it.  I’m planning on taking it again.”

Junior Maddy Staub
Junior Maddy Staub.  All Photos By: Grace Burns

“I feel I did better than I did last time,” said senior Caitlyn Calcutt. “They were a lot easier … I feel like you do better in different rooms depending on what it is.”

Senior Caitlyn Calcutt
Senior Caitlyn Calcutt

“I feel I did okay since it was my first time taking it,” said junior Peter Coombes.

Junior Peter Coombes
Junior Peter Coombes

“I could have done better definitely,” said junior Alexis Czaplinski. “I wasn’t having a good day, and I think that definitely affected it.”

Junior Alexis Czaplinski
Junior Alexis Czaplinski

“I feel like I could have done better if I tried harder in studying,” said junior Evan Brown.

Junior Evan Brown
Junior Evan Brown

“My performance on the SATs was horrible,” said junior Tess Clancy. “I hated my scores.”

Junior Tess Clancy
Junior Tess Clancy

“I did pretty well … better than last time,” said junior Aaron Gervasio.

Junior Aaron Gervasio
Junior Aaron Gervasio

“I feel good,” said junior Robyn Chandler. “I don’t even think I’m going to take them again because I got a high enough score.”

Junior Robyn Chandler
Junior Robyn Chandler

“I thought that I did okay for the first time taking it,” said junior Kevin Clapp.

Junior Kevin Clapp
Junior Kevin Clapp

“I know I can do better,” said junior Julianne Martinez.

Junior Julianne Martinez
Junior Julianne Martinez

How did you prepare for the test in advance?

“I bought the SAT book and looked through it,” said Staub. “I did some practice in English class.”

“I got a book out of the library and studied off of that,” said Calcutt. “[I] just looked back at old math and [caught up] on English and vocabulary terms.”

“I took SAT prep class, and I got a lot of sleep the night before,” said Czaplinski.

“I didn’t really prepare at all,” said Brown. “I wanted to see the base average of what I knew.”

“I took online quizzes,” said Clancy.

“I took practice tests,” said Gervasio.

“Mainly, I listened to my teachers in class [to see] if they had anything to offer about the SATs,” said Clapp.

“I went over my English vocab words, did practice tests online and did the question of the day on collegeboard.org,” said Martinez.

Looking back on your preparation, is there anything you would have done differently?

“I would have done more practice tests to be a better test taker,” said Staub.

“I think I would have studied a little more than I did,” said Calcutt.

“I probably would have gotten a tutor or something for it,” said Czaplinski. “But now I’m going to take it again.”

“[I would have] probably studied and been prepared more,” said Brown.

“Yes, I would have prepared more,” said Clancy. “I would have looked at my SAT book.”

“[I would have] done more practice tests and looked more at reading and writing,” said Gervasio.

What advice do you have for others preparing for the test?

“Study and get some sleep,” said Calcutt. “Just be ready for the test …  try to do your best.”

“Definitely practice those types of problems,” said Gervasio.

How will you work to improve your score?

“I am going to study practice tests, vocab and math,” said Czaplinski.

“I will put a little more time into preparing because, this time, I could have done more,” said Staub.

“I’ll probably take SAT classes the school provides or another place provides,” said Brown.

“I will study a lot more,” said Clancy.