AP Test Preparation Turns to Technology

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

As AP tests rapidly approach, calculus students are incorporating technology into their test preparation.

AP calculus teacher JC Lewis has started using Khan Academy, a non-profit academic site, as a part of his AP review for both calculus courses. The site contains educational videos and quizzes to improve students’ knowledge of various calculus topics.

Senior Caraleigh Stifler appreciates the process of Khan Academy, though it can be trying for students.

Math teacher JC Lewis broke his class into Differentiable Calculus and Integral Calculus. Photo courtesy of Khan Academy.

“The good thing about Khan Academy is that it doesn’t let you move on [during the quizzes] unless you get three problems in a row correct,” said Stifler. “This feature ensures you really know the topic.”

As a part of students’ in-class AP preparation, they take mini quizzes on various calculus topics and must continue to retake the assessment until they earn the equivalent of a 4 or 5 on the AP scale. To improve before the retake, students are now required to complete Khan Academy quizzes that Lewis assigns them.

Junior Brigit Duffy has used the program and sees some of its effects during her calculus class.

Students see realistic problems that may appear on the AP test. Photo courtesy of Khan Academy.

“Khan academy has forced me to keep practicing calculus and preparing for the exam, but it makes the process less overwhelming because of its game atmosphere,” said Duffy.

Though the quizzes can be challenging and difficult, some students appreciate the extra practice that the site provides. All students who have spent time on the site before the initial quiz have passed the first quiz and avoided a retake.

Junior Megan Longerbeam thinks the site has improved her calculus knowledge.

“Khan Academy, although time time consuming and frustrating, actually helps me understand the material we learn in class,” said Longerbeam.

By taking multiple quizzes in various topics, students earn badges such as “making progress,” “persistence,” and “thumbs up.” Student can acquire points as well through passing quizzes.

Though Lewis is using the site for math purposes, Khan Academy has various subjects such as science, economics, arts and humanities, and computing. The calculus section is also broken up into differential calculus and integral calculus.

Khan Academy not only focuses on math but lots of other subjects. Photo courtesy of Khan Academy.

Junior Nathan Shelley thinks that the program definitely has its benefits for his AP test preparation.

“I can tell [it’s helping] because I didn’t fail the quiz after I worked on [Khan Academy],” said Shelley.

With less than a month until the calculus AB test, students are getting serious about preparation and reaching out to new studying methods with Khan Academy.