Recent Movie Releases to Rent

Redbox dvds cost $1.29 to rent a night. Courtesy of fathersdayfreebies.com.

Redbox dvd’s cost $1.29 to rent a night. Courtesy of fathersdayfreebies.com.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

Digital movie releases are at an all time high right now since  nominations have finally hit the small screen. The Theory of Everything, St. Vincent, The Judge, and Whiplash are some of the highly recommended movies to come out of the award season and can be easily rented now at Redbox. Consider these movies to enjoy at home.

Theory of Everything

'The Theory of Everything' is the story of Stephan Hawking's and his wife's life together staring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.  Courtesy of space.com.
‘The Theory of Everything’ is the story of Stephan Hawking’s and his wife’s life together staring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. Courtesy of space.com.

Eddie Redmayne gives the performance of a lifetime as Dr. Stephen Hawking in the touching film The Theory of Everything. The film covers the relationship and life of Stephen and his first wife Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones) from the time where they first met along with all of the challenges they had to overcome due to Stephen’s disease. The Theory of Everything is not only a fan favorite but is respected by the Academy with 5 Oscar nominations and a win for Eddie Redmayne in the Best Actor in a Leading Role category. This movie covers love, science, and adversity; it’s truly everything.

St. Vincent

Bill Murray is 'St. Vincent' when his new neighbor and her son come into his life. Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com.
Bill Murray is ‘St. Vincent’ when his new neighbor and her son come into his life. Courtesy of huffingtonpost.com.

This touching and hilarious film stars legend Bill Murray alongside Melissa McCarthy and Naomi Watts. Murray portrays an alcoholic gambler named Vincent whose only friends are a pregnant Russian prostitute and his cat until he receives new neighbors: a single mother (Melissa McCarthy) and her son, Oliver. Vincent soon becomes Oliver’s unconventional after school babysitter due to his mother’s work schedule, and the two create an odd friendship. The film was rightfully nominated for two golden globes for Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical and Best Actor – Comedy or Musical. St. Vincent will without a doubt leave a smile on your face for the entire movie.    

The Judge

Robert Downing Jr. stars in 'The Judge' as a lawyer who is representing his estranged father and town judge (Robert Duvall) in a charge of murder. Courtesy of en.wikipedia.org.
Robert Downing Jr. stars in ‘The Judge’ as a lawyer who is representing his estranged father and town judge (Robert Duvall) in a charge of murder. Courtesy of en.wikipedia.org.

Robert Downey Jr. stars in The Judge which as an unusually dramatic role played by the actor. Downing plays Hank Palmer, an esteemed defense attorney out of Chicago who has pushed himself away from his father and brothers. Palmer is then called home after his mother passes away and soon after the funeral, his father (Robert Duvall), his hometown’s judge, is found to be the main suspect in a hit and run murder. Palmer decides to stay in town a little longer as he defends his father’s name and has to deal with old skeletons in his closet. Robert Duvall was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in the Oscars and Best Supporting Actor- Motion Picture for the Golden Globes. The Judge is hands down one of the best movies to come out in 2014.

Whiplash

Staring J.K. Simmons and Miles Teller, 'Whiplash' shows the relationship between teacher and student of an ambitious studio jazz band. Courtesy of falconnewsfeed.com.
Staring J.K. Simmons and Miles Teller, ‘Whiplash’ shows the relationship between teacher and student of an ambitious studio jazz band. Courtesy of falconnewsfeed.com.

Whiplash follows first year jazz student Andrew Neiman (Miles Teller) and his strong ambition to be one of the greatest jazz musicians. Neiman is accepted into his prestigious music school’s esteemed studio jazz band conducted by Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons), an abusive and demeaning teacher. The movie depicts Neiman’s desire to impress Fletcher and become one of the greats. The movie was nominated for five Oscar nominations and was awarded three: Actor in a Supporting Role (J.K. Simmons), Film Editing, and Sound Mixing. Whiplash came highly rated by fans and reviewers with 5 stars and was awarded Best Actor in a Supporting Role to J.K. Simmons. This film is a perfect mix of music, thrill, and superb acting. Whiplash is a must-see.

These movies can be rented at a local Redbox for $1.29 a night.