Marching Band Gets Upgraded

By Ally Lilly, Reporter

When the marching band takes the field next year for their first home game, pay close attention because they may be unrecognizable. In the 2015 marching band season, the band will be getting new uniforms, the first new uniforms since 1993.

For the marching band, there is a meaning to every part of the uniforms they wear. The uniforms come from military tradition, and as the first thing anyone will see as the band marches out onto the field, they should send out a positive message about the school and leave a strong impression.

The new uniforms will still contain school colors, but they will be much darker. They also include feathers and what many in the band believe to be a sharper look that will improve the band’s appearance as a whole.

Band director Chris Poole believes the feathers on the new uniforms will tie in well with the mascot and has a clear logic for choosing these uniforms.

“[We want] something all black that will make us look taller,” said Poole. “We want to make it look like we are standing up straight 100% of the time, even when we’re not.”

Poole believes that the old uniforms were chosen well with a timeless look to them, but after 20 years, it is time for a change.

Junior Jacob Rohrbaugh likes the idea of being able to have a new uniform for his senior year and believes that they will change the way the band presents itself.

“I feel like it would be really cool, senior year, to have a new uniform…I feel like it looks classier,” said Rohrbaugh. “I think that we’re going to look a lot more respectable because we’re not just the normal, basic design of a uniform, and darker always seems more intense.”

Sophomore Chase Sapp is excited for the new uniforms because she believes the band needs to change their style and that the new uniforms will help the band stand out.

“No other school really has feathers and the style that we’re going to have,” said Sapp.

Sapp believes the new uniforms will give the band a more intimidating look and more excitement to perform.

The new uniforms’ approval was announced officially on Friday, March 20, and will give a new feel to the band for their 2015 outdoor season.