Save Your Money

By Stella Trovato, Reporter

As a teenager in high school, it gets extremely difficult to save money that gets earned. Whether the money comes from things like allowances or jobs, a lot of students are guilty of not knowing where all their money goes. Here are some ways of making sure you always have cash to spare:

1. Get a job, and put part of each paycheck in the bank.

There are all sorts of jobs a high schooler can work while still balancing out their inside and outside school work.  Working at a fast food restaurant, a car wash, a grocery store, a clothing store, babysitting, etc., are some good ways to earn money in high school. Depending on the salary, decide each week on how much money to put in the bank and how much money you can spend for that week.  This can help with more money to save.

1. Work extra hours, or do extra work for your parents.

Although doing extra work can be a drag, it pays off when getting paid more for it, which is more money that can be saved away or more money to spend that week.

1. Make a coin jar.

All the extra quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies that get stuffed back into your wallet may not seem like a whole lot of money.  Instead of keeping loose change in your wallet or pocket, put it in a coin jar.  Over time, the coin jar will fill up, and a single jar could have up to twenty dollars or more each time it gets cashed in.

1. Carry small amounts of cash.

When having cash in your possession, it can be difficult not to spend it.  Try having less than twenty dollars with you unless you have knowledge of what you are going to get. This helps with limiting the amount of money being wasted on things that are seen in stores that aren’t needed.

1. Collect coupons.

Couponing is not popular with teens, but it often always saves a lot of money.  Buy one, get one free coupons keeps one from  spending double the money.  Even a 20% discounted coupon could help too.  Coupons are found everywhere, and they are not hard to get at all.  Look through any magazines, or go online to find them, and make sure to use them before the expiration date.

Here are 2 websites that coupons are found for popular stores:

http://www.dealsplus.com/dickssportinggoods-coupons

http://coupons.walmart.com/

Here are magazines that offer many coupons:

1. All You Magazine – 50 coupons
  2. Weight Watchers Magazine – 11 coupons
  3. Better Homes & Garden – 10 coupons
  4. Woman’s Day – 8 coupons
  5. Redbook – 8 coupons

Magazine listing from: http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/2011/09/extreme-couponing-tips-coupons-found-in-magazines.html

1. Find the best prices.

Something that is forty dollars in one store could be discounted somewhere else.  Taking a little more time to find out where the best prices are can also be money saving.  Additionally, an item online could be cheaper than in stores. So, check on the company’s website too to see if there is a current online discount.

1.  Spend money on what you need and less on what you want.

It is very tempting to buy things that are not necessary. Stopping this bad habit leaves money to save up for something that is needed for the future.

Overall, high schoolers have difficulty saving their money or spending their money on needed things, and these tips can help save tons of money.