‘The Royals’ Rule Television

The Royals is E! networks first scripted series. Courtesy of eonline.com.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

The Royals, a new scripted television series on E!, premiered on Sunday, March 15, and it is already ruling my life. The show is about a modern British monarch family that, like any other, has its problems from a hardcore party girl to envious family members trying to steal the crown. During the premiere of The Royals, the family experiences the loss of their oldest child, Prince Robert, and the King considers abolishing the monarchy. Before embarking on this regal adventure, viewers should first meet the royal family.

Queen Helena (Elizabeth Hurley)

Queen Helena played by Elizabeth Hurley who is best known as Vanessa Kensington in the movie Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. Courtesy of philly.com.

Helena is the matriarch of the family and the Queen of England. Her personality is ice-cold, and she seems to care more about the monarchy and her way of living than her own family. She is the mother of Prince Robert, Prince Liam and Princess Eleanor and wife of King Simon. When her eldest son dies, she makes a remark that mothers can mourn but not when they’re the queen. Instead she needs to focus on her daughter’s wild antics, her son’s choice of girlfriend and uphold the monarchy. When the King tells his family he’s thinking of having the monarchy abolished, Queen Helena is very against it because she fears she will no longer have this privileged lifestyle.

King Simon (Vincent Regan)

King Simon played by Vincent Regan has been in the movies Troy, 300, and Clash of the Titans. Courtesy of usmagazine.com.

Simon is the King of England and the patriarch of the family. He has a very caring personality and worries about the effect the monarchy has on others. In the premiere, he decides that he will ask Parliament to abolish the monarchy because he believes it is what got his son, Robert, killed. Prince Robert decided to uphold his honor by joining the military instead of following his heart, which ultimately led to his death. Unlike Queen Helena trying to rally in her kids from their wild antics, Simon is alright with whatever they do because no matter what, he’s proud of them.

Prince Liam (William Moseley)

Prince Liam is played by William Moseley who is known for his role as Peter Pevensie in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Courtesy of vanityfair.com

King Peter has left his kingdom in Narnia and is now in line for the throne as Prince Liam, Princess Eleanor’s twin. He is currently in university and acts like a regular student. In the premiere, Liam is saddened by the death of his brother yet finds comfort in his new love-interest Ophelia. At his brother’s funeral, he admires his dad for reaching out to the people and comforting them even when he was also hurting.

Princess Eleanor (Alexandra Park)

Princess Eleanor played by Alexandra Park started her acting career in 2011 in the Australian TV series The Elephant Princess. Courtesy of okmagazine.com.

Princess Eleanor is the daughter of Simon and Helena. Eleanor is a party-girl and can be usually found in the clubs of Paris or the front cover of every magazine in England. After Robert’s death, Eleanor was very distraught. She was conflicted with Robert’s death because she just wants to know if she is a disappointment to the family. In a late-night talk with her father, Simon tells her that Robert was proud of her so he is as well, which gives Eleanor some peace at mind.

Ophelia (Merritt Patterson)

Ophelia played by Merritt Patterson who made an appearance in the Pretty Little Liars spin off Ravenswood. Courtesy of nydailynews.com

Ophelia is the daughter of Ted, the head of security, and Prince Liam’s love interest. She was born in England but moved to the States with her mother because it was safer, yet now lives in the palace with the royals even with the title of being a commoner. Her personality is very sweet, and she cares a lot about her effect on Liam and the monarchy. Last year, she experienced her mother’s death, which King Simon believes was an effect of the monarchy. When Robert died, Ophelia came to Liam’s side to comfort him, much to Queen Helena’s dismay, but Prince Liam took his father’s advice to follow his heart and is going after Ophelia.

Prince Cyrus (Jake Maskall)

Prince Cyrus played by Jake Maskall who's most notable role was played in the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Courtesy of vanityfair.com.
Prince Cyrus played by Jake Maskall who’s most notable role was played in the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Courtesy of vanityfair.com.

Prince Cyrus is King Simon’s envious brother. He has two daughters, Princess Penelope and Princess Maribel, whom he is not proud of due to the fact that they are rather embarrassing. Prince Cyrus wants nothing more than to be king, and believes if he wasn’t a part of the monarchy today, he would find a way to become king. He even took a playful shot at the King while hunting and spoke the words, “Long live the King.”

The Royals airs on Sundays at 10:00 pm on E! after Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

The Royals aires on Sunday at 10:00 pm on E!. Courtesy of eonline.com.
‘The Royals’ airs on Sunday at 10:00 pm on E!. Courtesy of eonline.com.