Spring is here, and so is Bonkey’s

By Courtney Rodgers

The popular New Freedom ice cream shop Bonkey’s is opening for the season.  The store opened March 15 for the store’s twelfth season.

Located on 28 E. Franklin Street in New Freedom, PA, the ice cream shop was built in an old movie theater and has been serving the community since 2004.  Many people who stop by are cyclists riding from the railroad trail just down the street.

A lot of people traveling on the railroad trail will stop at Bonkey's to get some ice cream.  Photo By:  Courtney Rodgers
A lot of people traveling on the railroad trail will stop at Bonkey’s to get some ice cream. Photo By: Courtney Rodgers

For many students who have grown up with Bonkey’s nearby, the opening day is somewhat of an indication that spring has begun.

It is a tradition for many students to grab an ice cream cone or snowball after a long sports practice or to stop by when walking around New Freedom on a hot day.

Bonkey’s ice cream is homemade, giving the store the traditional “mom and pop shop” feel to it which many people like.

Bonkey's opens up next week, Tuesday March 17th.  Photo By:  Courtney Rodgers
Bonkey’s opened up on March 15. Photo By: Courtney Rodgers

Not only is Bonkey’s a popular place to get ice cream, it’s also a popular place for students to get a summer job.  Bonkey’s in New Freedom is not hiring at the moment, but some students already have jobs there.

Junior Abby Ferraro enjoys working at the New Freedom Bonkey’s.

“I really like the atmosphere,” said Ferraro. “The people there are really friendly, so it’s a good place to work.”

This coming season is junior Maggie Kaliszak’s third season working at Bonkey’s.

“Well, we get a lot of free ice cream,” said Kaliszak.  “[I also like] not having to serve people, like a waitress, but I still get to serve people and interact with them.”

A Bonkey's T-shirt that can also be bought at the local store.  Photo By:  Courtney Rodgers
This is a Bonkey’s T-shirt that can also be bought at the local store. Photo By: Courtney Rodgers

Kaliszak’s younger sister, freshman Erin Kaliszak, has been working at Bonkey’s since last summer.

“My family all works there, and we’re really good friends with the owners,” said Erin Kaliszak.  “And they seem nice, so I kind of got pulled into it.”

If anyone interested in going to New Freedom to get some ice cream, Bonkey’s is now open for business on Mondays thru Fridays 3:00 p.m. thru 9:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays 12:00 p.m. thru 9:00 p.m.