Warrior Baseball is ‘Up to Bat’

By Nicole Michels, Reporter

Coming off of a victorious season with 15 wins and four losses, the baseball team hopes to accomplish the same goals this year even though it has lost twelve players from last season.

The team also looks to replace alumni left fielder Michael Spadafore. Photo by: Bethany Miller
Sophomore Connor Hood slides into second after stealing a base during the 2014 season. He hopes to continue stealing bases during his junior year.  Photo by: Bethany Miller
Sophomore Connor Hood slides into second after stealing a base during the 2014 season. He hopes to continue stealing bases during his junior year.
Photo by: Bethany Miller

Along with new talent coming to the team, they also have new coaches as well. Barak Gohn will be replacing Brad McCullough as the pitching coach. Alex Coombs, a Warrior baseball alumni, will also be volunteering as an assistant coach.

Tim Hare, head coach and video productions teacher at Susquehannock, talked about the difficulty the team is going to face this year with moving up a division and competing against some more competitive teams.

“Every game is going to be competitive. Every game is going to be a dogfight,” said Hare.

First time coach and alumni Alex Coombs is looking forward to helping the team he was a part of for so many years and to give back to the program.

“I want to help develop players since the team graduated so many seniors,” said Coombs.

The team will miss last year's seniors, such as alumni Josh Houser who helped them in their batting average. Photo by: Bethany Miller
The team will miss last year’s seniors, such as alumni Josh Houser who helped their batting average. Photo by: Bethany Miller

The players this year are looking forward to the tough competition and achieving their own personal goals while assisting the team in season goals as well.

Senior Alex Palmer has been on the baseball team for the last three years and is looking forward to enjoying his senior year.

“This season, I hope to bat over 300 and to go over 500 on the pitching mound,” said Palmer.

Palmer and junior pitcher Connor Hood have high hopes for the team.

“I obviously want us to win our division, and if we went 500 or better, it would be a good season,” said Hood.

The whole team is practicing long and hard to get ready for their first game of the season on Monday, March 16 at 4:15 p.m. on their home field against Shippensburg High School.