Varsity Boys Soccer kicks it up a notch

The Boys Get Ready: Bailey Gallegos, Daniel Snyder, Matthew Ramsey, Samuel Winslow, Zach Holloway, Clayton Leasure, Andrew Renzi, Owen Founds, Nathan Houser, Colten Ayers, and Coach James Shenk walk onto the field to get ready to play their opponent. Photo By: Allison Novak

The varsity boys soccer team has faced defeat, but the group is still going strong with a new head coach, James Shenk.

There have been loses, and like any other team, they will learn from them according to junior  co-captain Timmy Wilson. “The only reason we lost to the teams we did was because we were clumsy with the ball. We weren’t focused enough,  and didn’t have enough possession of it. We should’ve made it up with speed…, “said Wilson.

A new coach is also  be something to adjust to. “I like Shenk. He really understands us as a team, and tries harder everyday to do better for us,” said Wilson of Shenk.

Talking to the Ref: Ryan Chilcoat talks to the ref during a break in the game. Photo By: Allison Novak

Shenk believes that this is a very high skilled team despite its lack of seniors and juniors.“This is a young team. Unlike most of the teams, we have more freshman and sophomores than we do juniors and seniors. We only have one senior, being Ryan McNamara,” said Shenk. Two of the juniors on the team, Timmy Wilson and Ryan Chilcoat, are the co-captains of the team.

The team looks to improve. “I believe that whatever they do, there is always room for more of it, especially if they want to make it to a higher division,” said Shenk. The team knows its strengths and weaknesses. “This is a strong team, but we could be even stronger if we listened to each other more,” said Chilcoat.

Wilson sees the main weakness of the team very simply. “Since our team is so young, we don’t have much experience,” said Wilson. Even though there are those weaknesses, they have their strengths. “They put their hearts into what they do, and this for any team, is a huge thing,” said Shenk. “Also, they don’t let these losses get to their head. They put it behind them and move on.”
They cannot say for sure if they will have a chance to go to districts this year or not. “Overall, making it any higher in any division, or game they compete in, will take time,” said Chilcoat.

In It to Win It: Duncan Mitchell and co-captain Timmy Wilson play hard to make an impact on the scoreboard. Photo By: Allison Novak

The team has many goals for the rest of the year. They will try harder, train harder, eat right, sleep, and do well in school everyday to be eligible to play in the game and to be better, according to Shenk.  “Hard work. Hard work. Hard work. It’s mine, and Ryan’s job to motivate them, and we will try our hardest to do so, ” said Wilson.
For this team, hard work is the main priority. Getting in a higher division, or making it to at least districts or higher, is always the goal, especially for some of the juniors and seniors that have been playing for most of their lives.