Ready? SAT! Go!

Resources Galore: A couple of the school library’s SAT prep books sit in front of a computer logged in to College Board.
Photo By: Konnie Brown

Preparing for the SATs can be a demanding and confusing task for any student, but there are many resources available to make the experience less stressful.

Senior Aaron Hill is trying to use such resources to prevent the pressure of last year.

“I thought they were really stressful the first time,” admitted Hill, who plans to retake the test on December 1.

Studying with guidebooks, websites, prep courses, or by any other means is vital in doing well and not feeling overwhelmed during the test.

Senior Allison Burton pointed out studying as extremely important.

“Definitely study for it and definitely take the Pre-SAT because that really helps,” advised Burton. Burton followed her own tips by taking the Pre-SAT sophomore and junior year. She retook the SATs on October 6.

There are also SAT study guidebooks available for those who learn through reading and visuals. These books are available at Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, and online shopping sites, such as Amazon. Librarian Sandy May says there are SAT prep book available in the library’s resource section.

Neither pre-SATs nor guidebooks were the most important aid for Hill, who has mainly been using the College Board website (collegeboard.org) to prepare.

“Use College Board, and use it often because if you don’t properly prepare yourself, you are going to feel overwhelmed,” explained Hill.

Hill’s method involves “looking at every possible thing they could ask a question on” and then practicing similar problems in a notebook.

College Board has free sample questions and a free full practice test one can take. It also provides a program to help form an organized study schedule, a test day checklist, and test day simulator. The website is also where one can easily register for the SATs, as well as view scores.

The various SAT prep courses available are useful long-term tools for training.

For those looking for a simpler way to study a little each day, there is an iPhone app that provides a different SAT question of the day every day.

Studying is not the only key step in SAT preparation.

Junior Ashton Alban knows that one should be physically prepared as well.

“Make sure that you get a good night’s sleep and eat well,” said Alban, who is preparing to take the SATs a second time.

All the studying in the world may be wasted if one is unfocused due to hunger or fatigue during the test. This is also why cramming is discouraged and steady studying over time is preferred.

Bringing the correct supplies is clearly important. College Board says to bring the following: two No. 2 pencils, an eraser, a photo ID, an acceptable calculator, a watch, a snack and drink, a backpack, extra batteries, and definitely one’s admission ticket.

One last tool many people forget is a positive attitude; negative results come with a negative mindset.  Prepare properly and then expect to succeed.

Study hard: Senior Wynter Graybill studies from an SAT guidebook from the guidance office.