Teacher Superlative Winners Step in the Spotlight

Littleton is thrilled to have been voted “Best Storyteller.” Photo By: Grace Burns

By Grace Burns, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

As recognition for their memorable qualities, 12 teachers recently won superlatives that will be included in the yearbook as a result of a student-wide vote.

Art teacher Wade Bowers and social studies teacher Kirsten Hamilla won “Most Likely To Be Mistaken As a Student.” Math teacher Tim Scripko and English teacher Erica Littleton both won “Best Storyteller.” Special Education teacher Kristin Johnson and Math teacher J.C. Lewis took “Most Spirited.” Health and physical Education teacher Stephanie McGlynn and social studies teacher Kevin Lawrence won “Loudest.” Health and physical education teacher Sharon Fassnacht and technology education teacher Jack Stoneberg took “Funniest,” while Health and Physical Education teacher Tony Sorice and English teacher Katharine Wilt won “Most Quotable.”

Littleton has never won a superlative before and was both pleased and surprised to find out that she was voted the best female storyteller.

“Teaching literature is teaching stories,” said Littleton. “It’s the subject of English that lends itself to telling stories.”

A variety of students representing all grade levels contributed to the outcome as many voted during lunches either online or on paper.  Students were able to choose among three teachers for both male and female counterparts in a category.

This year’s yearbook will be the first that adviser and English teacher Jessica Beste has directed that has included  teacher superlatives.  Coming up with the categories and nominees was an enjoyable task for the yearbook staff, and the voting was an entertaining, interactive activity that many students were able to partake in.

Beste believes this adds another interesting and amusing aspect to the creation of the yearbook.

“It’s fun for students to recognize teachers out of the academic arena,” said Beste.

Wilt appreciates how superlatives allow staff and students to reflect on special moments and hopes that her words have had a positive impact on students.

“I am hoping that whatever I said that has stuck [with students] has been helpful,” said Wilt.

Wilt hopes to have provided wisdom and advice to her students.  Photo By: Grace Burns
Wilt hopes to have provided wisdom and advice to her students. Photo By: Grace Burns

While many teachers were enthusiastic about winning, most did not foresee the outcome.

Stoneberg definitely did not expect to win funniest male teacher.

“I was surprised,” said Stoneberg. “I don’t know [why I won].”

Stoneberg was pleasantly surprised to win "Funniest." Photo By: Grace Burns
Stoneberg was pleasantly surprised to win “Funniest.” Photo By: Grace Burns

Although some may view superlatives as a popularity contest, superlatives can be a memorable way to recognize the stand-out qualities of, in this case, several teachers who are constantly guiding and assisting students in their educational career.