Anticipated Cast List For Spring Musical Is Revealed

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

Members of the Susquehannock theater anxiously awaited on Monday, January 5 for the cast list for the spring musical, Mary Poppins, to be posted.

The most anticipated role of Mary Poppins was revealed to be senior Alexis Anelli. Mary Poppins will be Anelli’s sixth role in a Susquehannock musical. She began her musical theater career as a sixth grader appearing in the high school’s production of Les Miserable cast as Young Cosette.

Anelli is surprised to have obtained this role but is ready to take on the challenge.

“It’s what I wanted when I tried out,” said Anelli. “I ended up trying out for every role, and a lot of people only tried out for Mary Poppins. I’m very happy that I did get it, and I’m very excited about it.”

Auditions bring about a competitive atmosphere, especially to those searching for a leading role. Director Will Jenkins assures that each character is properly cast by creating thorough auditions. For Anelli, the process included performing a one-minute monologue, a tap routine, two songs and cold reads with Jenkins.

Although Anelli has performed as sixth characters within Susquehannock, this will be her first lead that is not double cast. As if playing the most involved role in the musical isn’t enough pressure, Anelli will be the only one learning the choreography and lines of Mary Poppins with no understudy.

The added pressure comes with more responsibility but also huge benefits.

“All of them[my roles] were double cast, so I was only in half of the shows, and I was only the character half the time, only at half of the rehearsals,” said Anelli. “But with Mary Poppins, I’m the only one, so I get all of the shows and rehearsals, so it’s pretty exciting.”

Along with being single cast, Anelli has the challenges of creating the advanced effects including flying. The theater program has enhanced the way it will portray this effect. This Spring, the theater is equipped with a new harness operated by two stage crew members.

Anelli has experience being in the air from her years as a varsity cheerleader.

“I like to tell myself that since I fly every day in cheerleading that it will be fine, but I’ve accepted that it’s going to be pretty different from that,” said Anelli. “I’m going to actually have two people controlling the flight, one person is going to pull the rope to make me go left to right and the other pulls for it to go up and down. I’m kind of scared that I have to trust those people… but I’m excited.”

Social studies’ teacher Matt Amberman is looking forward to the flying along with the popular songs. Theater has been a large part of Amberman’s life. He began his musical theater career in high school and continued his career performing in productions at York College.

Amberman sees Mary Poppins as a smart choice for the spring musical.

“I think it’s family friendly,” said Amberman. “I think it’s challenging in terms of the effects that they are trying to produce. I think it’s a nice balance between males and females… It’s classic. It’s something that grandmas and parents and kids will all enjoy.”

Anelli will take the stage with the remaining cast members and ensemble. With extensive color guard experience, sophomore Kaila Taylor joined the ensemble this year.

“The ensemble is the people in the background, like the people buying stuff…dancers, and the background singers, so I feel like they’re a pretty big part,” said Taylor.

Rehearsals began Sunday, January 11 for the ensemble; however, cast members waited until Tuesday, January 13 to get into character. Anelli finds some of Mary Poppin’s character traits in herself.

“We’re similar in our attitudes and outlooks toward life,” said Anelli. “You have to work hard to get what you want and always be nice to everyone.”

Joining Anelli, the male lead, Bert, will be played by senior Ethan Paules. Paules and Anelli will take the stage for opening night Friday, April 17.

For more information about the cast, crew and staff, visit susquehannocktheatre.com.

The remaining cast list can be found at http://www.susquehannocktheatre.com
The remaining cast list can be found at
http://www.susquehannocktheatre.com