Band Students Participate in District 7 Festival

The five chosen students pose for a group photo. Photo courtesy of sycsd.org.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Five band students, from various grade levels, will showcase their musical talent at Conestoga Valley High School in the District 7 Band Festival from January 9 to 10.

Interested students have been preparing for their December 6 audition since early summer, and five Susquehannock band members have been selected to be a part of the festival. Students taking part include sophomore Julien Sherman, junior Reed McGarvey, senior Anthony Stem, senior Caleb Vatral, and senior Jacob Sechrist.

Stem, a French horn player, enjoyed being a part of a large ensemble in the past when he has participated in music festivals.

PMEA hosts multiple festivals for students involved in the arts such as chorus, band, and orchestra. Photo courtesy of PMEA.org

“I think it’s a great experience to play with great players from different schools,” said Stem. “I was really excited to audition this year.”

Throughout the festival, Susquehannock students will get to meet other musicians from various schools in the area. In addition, they will exchange ideas and styles of music with the other festival participants.

With this in mind, Stem is excited to reconnect with other musically-inclined students in the area and learn from them.

“I know a lot of other horn players in other ensembles, and I look forward to seeing them again,” said Stem. “They play at a pretty high level, and it’s always exciting to play with a new group of musicians.”

Sherman thinks that the festival will be a good experience in his music career as he played percussion in the ensemble.

All five chosen students also participate in Susquehannock's marching band. Photo courtesy of warriorbands.org
All five chosen students also participate in Susquehannock’s marching band. Photo courtesy of warriorbands.org

“[I auditioned] because I wanted a challenge in music,” said Sherman.

The festival’s music doesn’t have a distinct theme, and students will be playing all different types of music.

McGarvey, who played the trumpet in the festival, looks forward to seeing what doors the festival will open for his music interests.

“[I’m looking forward to] the re-auditions,” said McGarvey. “[I’m interested in] seeing if I can go on to regionals.”

After the District 7 Festival, students like McGarvey will have the opportunity to audition to participate in larger festivals. No matter what follows the festival, students will have had an interesting and dynamic experience in music.